Are you worried you could have gum disease?
There are many signs of gum disease and we recommend that you should contact us immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Bleeding gums during tooth brushing
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Loose or separating teeth
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- A change in the fit of partial dentures
Why check-ups are so important…
Most people do not experience any pain due to gum disease and therefore it often goes unnoticed. That is why it is important to have regular dental checkups, including a periodontal examination.
Dr Scrivo will inspect the color and firmness of the gums and test the teeth for looseness. He will also check the way your teeth fit together when you bite. During your periodontal examination, a small measuring instrument is gently inserted between the tooth and gum to measure the depth of the pockets. A periodontal exam should be a part of every complete dental examination for adults. X-rays may be taken to evaluate the bone supporting the teeth.